Sunday, February 28, 2010

I LOVE TARGET!!!

I LOVE TARGET!!!

I really DO love shopping at Target! When they opened a new one about a mile from where I lived, I was in heaven. I love the shirts and sweaters they have, I never buy my lingerie (read underwear) any where else, and I could spend hours is the bath and bedding department. When my daughter was younger, I would fill my cart with all kinds of goodies for whatever holiday was coming up. My treat bags at Halloween were the envy of the block. Now, they have a really cool $1.00 section with all kinds of stuff that I don't need, but hey, it's only a dollar. Which reminds me I need to find another container to put all of my $1.00 treasures. No problem there! I'll just stroll down the storage container aisle and see what I can find!

There are 2 things, however, that I won't buy at Target. I won't buy books there. They are way too expensive and after all a book doesn't change from one store to another. I mean it's the same book whether you pay $25.00 or $5.00. It's got the same number of pages, the same dust cover, and is written by the same author.

The other thing I won't buy at Target are scented candles. Don't get me wrong, I used to buy candles there and at the grocery store, and the Hallmark store and a lot of other places. I didn't know any better. I thought that scented candles were only supposed to be scented for an hour. I thought that all that black gook (another name for soot) on the jar and the wall was normal. And heaven knows that those other candles in the pretty jars, with the pretty names, were supposed to burn right straight down the middle leaving all of that wax around the sides.

So imagine my surprise when I found a candle made from natural waxes (even my Vegan friends approve), has a scent “throw” (smell) that lasts as long as there is wax left to burn, produces very little black gook, and burns evenly so there is no wax left around the sides of the jar! I was also surprised at the price of these new found “scent-sational” candles. My first response was “at THAT price, they had better “throw” their scent all over the neighborhood!

Then I started comparing prices, the same way I compare prices on green beans, computers, or anything else I plan on purchasing. Here's what I discovered:

A 10oz jar candle at Target is $15.00. ($1.50 per ounce)
A 9.88 oz (strange) jar candle at Target is $12.00. ($1.21 per ounce)
A 6 oz jar candle at Target is $12.00 ($2.00 per ounce)
A 7 oz jar candle at Target is $10.00 ($1.43 per ounce)
An 8 oz. “aromatherapy” candle at Target is $19.00 ($2.37 per ounce)

Compare to the candles I am burning:

A 16oz. jar candle is $19.00 ($1.19 per ounce)
A 26 oz jar candle is $25.00 (.96 per ounce)
An 8 oz. “SPA” candle is $20.00 ($2.50 per ounce)

The moral of the story, in my opinion, is that there is more to a candle than just a jar and wax. What might look like a bargain may cost more in the long run and what seems expensive may actually be less expensive overall.

Want to try one of these high quality gourmet candles for yourself? Visit:
www.texasscents-sa.com

No comments: